Saturday, October 4, 2008

Camp Firefly

Five days ago, I woke up early, grabbed my bags, and headed (very wearily) to my very first sleep away camp. I am not a big fan of nature, but I LOVE kids, so I signed up, got in the car, and drove into the mountains. As I got to the tiny road to make my turn and saw vultures circling the sign, I was certain that it was an omen to turn back at once, but something made me keep going. As I lost cell service and took notice of the increasing depth of wilderness that I was headed into, I really wasn't all that excited. And then I crossed through the gate and knew it was all about to begin...

After getting to my cabin (17!) --- at the VERY top of the steep hill, and having a minor panic attack realizing that this was the real deal
, I headed to meet the rest of the counselors. Our first day was spent choosing camp names (I was Punkie), making necklaces, and playing ice breakers and being told that we had the challenge of making the next 4 days the best days of their lives for the 85 children who would be arriving in less than 24 hours. No pressure. I was still insanely scared, but managed to get a few hours of sleep anyway.
Thursday morning: the kids arrive! From the moment those kids got off of their buses beaming with excitement, I could tell that these next 4 days would be something amazing. I spent most of my time with Cabin 1 --- which consisted of 7 adorable little girls between the ages of 6 and 7. Belle, Love, Tinkerbell, McKay, Madison, Goalie, and C.C. were all so excited to be at camp that I couldn't help but be excited, too. One look at their tiny faces beaming with joy, while you could clearly see the physical evidence that they have been fighting for their lives, and you feel incredibly small for complaining about a headache, or having a pile of papers to get back to at work, or for being exhausted, or anything else for that matter.

We swam, we made pillows, we went on a snipe hunt, we tried archery, we learned hip hop, we had a pudding eating contest, we played in a decathlon, we ate sugar all day, we had water balloon fights, we toilet papered the boys' cabins (we got you good, cabin 10!!!!), we took 20 minute showers (6 year olds are incredibly slow at the whole hygiene game), we had a spa day, we did the 'ice cream and cake' dance (I will gladly demonstrate for those who request it), we had a carnival, we had a dance, we had a blast.

We started every single day with a song/dance combo to 'I'm The World's Greatest" (sung by R. Kelly, but try not to think about that part):

I am a mountain I am a tall tree, oh I am a swift wind, sweeping the country I am a river down in the valley, oh I'm a vision and I can see clearly If anybody asks you who I am Just stand up tall Look 'em in the face and say[chorus] I'm that star up in the sky I'm that mountain peak up high Hey, I made it I'm the world's greatest I'm that little bit of hope When my back's against the rope I can feel it I'm the world's greatest I am a giant I am an eagle, oh I am a lion down in the jungle I am a marching band I am the people, oh I am a helping hand I am a hero If anybody asks you who I am Just stand up tall Look 'em in the face and say[chorus]I'm that star up in the sky I'm that mountain peak up high Hey, I made it I'm the world's greatest I'm that little bit of hope When my back's against the rope I can feel it I'm the world's greatest I'm that star up in the sky (oh)I'm that mountain (peak up high) peak up highHey, I made It (I said, I made it) I'm the world's greatest (I'm that little bit)I'm that little bit of hope (oh oh)When my back's against the ropes (when my back's against the ropes)I can feel it (I can feel it)I'm the world's greatest Oh, I'm that star up in the sky (star up in the sky)I'm that mountain peak up high (oh, yes I am)Hey, I made it (I made it)I'm the world's greatest (I'm that little bit of hope)I'm that little bit of hope (oh oh)When my back's against the ropes(when my back's against the ropes)I can feel it (I can feel it)I'm the world's greatest I'm that star up in the sky (oh)I'm that mountain (peak up high) peak up highHey, I made It (I said, I made it) I'm the world's greatest (I'm that little bit)I'm that little bit of hope (oh oh)When my back's against the ropes (when my back's against the ropes)I can feel it (I can feel it)I'm the world's greatest...

There has never been a more fitting song. These kids really are the world's greatest. Take Cookie for example...paralyzed from the waist down after a tumor invaded her spinal cord, a beautiful girl with curly hair and an unbreakable spirit. Always smiling, always friendly, always independent --- she did all of the activities the other kids did and only needed help being lifted to higher surfaces (like the golf cart). After multiple surgeries and medications, she can roll her feet back and forth and can lift her right knee. She's that little bit of hope when her back's against the ropes.

I could tell you 84 more stories just like Cookie's. We were told by our camp director that we might have a hard time adjusting to the 'real world' again and that we'd want to talk about our experience, and that 'outsiders' wouldn't understand. I now know what a person without communication skills must feel like. I have so much to tell everyone, yet I can't express it in a way that would do camp justice. 'Amazing' just doesn't seem like a big enough word.

I'm exhausted, my calves are killing me, I have a ton of text messages and missed calls to return, I have to unpack my suitcase, I will be scrubbing dirt out of my ears for weeks to come, and yet, I don't have a single complaint. I was so worried about surviving for 5 days without cell service, and now I don't even want to turn the darn thing on. I've learned that there are greater things in life than Starbucks and hot showers.

Our mission as counselors was to make these the best 4 days of the kids' lives, and in the end, they will go down as some of my best. Thank you to the girls of Cabins 1 & 3 for changing my life. I was committed to doing everything I could to find a cure for cancer in my lifetime before camp, and you better believe that my devotion has only multiplied. We're going to kick cancer's butt! In the mean time, I can't wait to do it all over again next year!

No comments: