Saturday, October 4, 2008

My Small Group Adventure

Since I've been in Vegas, I have found this awesome church that I absolutely LOVE going to every weekend. They have a great band, a very relatable senior pastor, and a coffee shop - what more could a girl want? The only problem is that it is huge, and therefore virtually impossible to get to know anyone.
So I decided that I should try out a small group - something that has never really been my "thing" but I figured it was worth a shot. After leaving messages for the college age/young adult ministry for weeks, I discover that the leader of that group has moved away and they are in the process of looking for a leader. The nice woman from the small groups division who is talking to me insists that maybe I should be the leader. In a word, no. While I try to be a nice person and live a mostly Christian lifestyle, I cannot in good faith LEAD a group of young people in their walk and then go out and participate in the fun sinning that I like to do from time to time. I'm pretty sure God doesn't want me influencing any young folk.
After 15 minutes of telling this nice lady that I am not the leader they are looking for, she gives in and tries to place me in a small group. My choices are as follows: a group of married housewife mothers, young married couples, and a 30s & 40s singles group. I don't fit into ANY of those categories, and I try to explain that, but she insists that the people who are my age and without a group have all migrated into the 30s & 40s group, so it's really more like a 20s & 30s group.
This doesn't sound so bad, so I throw caution to the wind and decide to try it. After I found the right room, it was abundantly clear that my nice small group helper is a big LIAR. Not a soul in there was anywhere near their 20s; sans myself. We're talking people to have children my age and drive cars older than me. Okay. I'm not an agist - I'll still give it a shot.
The discussion started out fairly well, and I found myself interested. The first question was "what are your dreams?" and as I listened, I thought of my own. This could be very productive. Next question: "if you could be any person for one day, who would you be, and what would you do?" Again, great question. Now I'm really getting into it and my thoughts are racing trying to decide what my answer would be.
They pass from one person to another, and some of the answers I hear are; "Oprah, Bill Gates, Pastor Jud" and then...this gentleman across from me says, "I'd be any world leader and I'd tell people what was really happening. You see, a comet is about to hit the Earth. (We all chuckle) No folks, I'm serious. It's going to hit very soon and incinerate all of us and the government is hiding it. They are all going to get on the spaceship that is coming to save us, and they don't want us to take up any of the spots on the saucer." My thoughts are still racing, but not so much about who I want to be, rather, more about possible escape routes.
Now, to the credit of the rest of the members of the group, they acknowledged his answer as "interesting" and moved back to the saner members for more answers. Still though, I'm thinking this is not the group for me. I can't meet with this nutjob twice a month and pretend to take him seriously. I can handle being younger than everyone, and I can handle listening to their divorce/adult children stories, but I draw the line at spaceships coming to rescue the government from the impending comet.
So, what's next you ask? Well, I still love the church, and still want to get connected, so....I'll take married housewife mothers for 300, Alex. If nothing else, they can teach me how to bake - I'm sure the ride on the spaceship will be a long one and we'll need snacks.
Wish me luck!

No comments: