Saturday, October 4, 2008

Volunteering in this town

So I decided to expand my horizons and volunteer with an organization other than my own.
First, I contacted Big Brothers Big Sisters. They have a rule that you must show proof of residency of at least 3 months before you can volunteer. I'm a month shy of that goal. No biggie. I will wait.

In the mean time, I tried to get involved with the Rescue Mission. After calling two different numbers 10 times over the course of 3 days, I finally got in touch with the Volunteer Coordinator. He assured me he would call back the next day to schedule a meeting. 14 days later, nothing. Seriously? Has the homeless epidemic been miraculously taken care of over night? Last time I checked, they could still use my help.
Next, I tried the Blind Center. They only have volunteer opportunities from 9am - 2pm Monday - Friday. I had no idea that the blind community was only afflicted during late mornings on weekdays. From what I gather, 3pm or Saturday hits, and BAM! Let there be vision.
Then, I called the Shade Tree. As it turns out, the same hero who saved the homeless has also ridded the world of abuse! Talk about efficient.
Finally, I decided to go with First Friday - the art festival. I got there this evening, and was told to park at the county something or other lot. No problem. I get there, and the nice police officer asked to see my IBC identification. What is IBC you ask? Good question. I had no idea, and neither did the police officer. All he could tell me was that there was lot A and lot B and I wasn't getting into either of them without IBC identification. Fine. I call the First Friday people and they tell me to demand that I be allowed to park. No. I will not be demanding anything from the law man outside my window - I'm too pretty to do hard time. I ask if there is alternative parking - yep, I'm in luck! Residential area. I can handle that. Until I get there and see that it is the kind of neighborhood that has your car chain linked to your driveway car port, which is wired with an alarm system comprised of a string and a bell that feeds through the bars on the outside of your windows. Feivel is too pretty to be left alone here.
I spent the rest of my night drinking Starbucks and shopping.
The moral of this story? Volunteer with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society!! I promise to: never say we have enough help already, always call you back, never make you meet a residency quota, allow you to offer your time outside of normal business hours, and I will NEVER ask you for IBC identification or try to make you park in the ghetto!

No comments: